The first-ever Cheese School will be April 4-7, 2013. Following in the footsteps of our craft workshops, Cheese School will be an intensive, hands-on long-weekend workshop.
Thursday – Sunday (includes overnight stay Sunday and breakfast on Monday)
We’ll start with a mixer Thursday night with nibbles and several cheeses to sample. Friday and Saturday will be chock-a-block with hands-on home cheesemaking. You’ll learn to make mozzarella, chevre, feta, paneer, and ricotta, plus butter and yogurt, and a hard cheese (TBA!). You’ll also learn to cook with both commercial and your own homemade cheese, with student participation and/or demos for many of the meals. Finally, we’ll wrap up with an artisan cheesemaking talk/demo and a paired tasting from the award-winning cheesemaker of Green Dirt Farm. You’ll leave with your own cheeses, plus a wonderful goodie bag and cooler tote with Green Dirt Farm cheese, cultures, and cheesemaking supplies.
Cheese School includes:
- Welcome cheese party
- 2 full days of hands-on home cheesemaking basics with Charlene Osman
- Artisan cheese talk/demo with paired tastings from Green Dirt Farm
- Cooking demos (some hands-on) and recipes with Nikol Lohr
- Cheeses made with farm-fresh cow’s and goat’s milk from a small, diversified local family farm
- 4 nights in shared guest rooms in former high school classrooms (double or triple occupancy; bring a friend or we can assign)
- All meals and snacks
- A take-home goodie bag and cooler tote with cheese, cheesemaking supplies, and condiments
- Samples of all of your cheeses to take home with you
- relaxing on the playground, snuzzles from the sheep
- Plus a few surprises!
CHEESE SCHOOL is $485 and includes everything. Accommodations are shared rooms in former classrooms. We also have a few private rooms available for an additional $100. Due to the season and the nature of instruction, space is very limited!
Register with a $200 deposit (refundable until March 4, 2013). You’ll pay your balance when you check in.