Adrian and I have been closely (my family might say obsessively) following the COVID-19 outbreak for weeks, and we’ve come to the decision to cancel Spring Fiber School. I’m deeply disappointed, but I believe it is the right call.
While this part of the country is currently showing few cases, and our small gathering doesn’t hit any social distancing thresholds, many students would be traveling from afar (including from current hot spots), putting themselves or other students at risk to get here. Adrian’s own local hospital has two dozen cases, and her asthma puts her at particular risk from this disease.
Based on the timelines of the spread in other countries and current CDC guidance, the likely U.S. epidemic will probably edge at least into summer, and from there it gets quite hot in the building, especially for anyone to want to spend all day in a sweltering Dye Lab, so we’ve decided to cancel outright instead of trying to reschedule.
My greatest hope is that we’re overreacting and regret cancelling. But at this early stage, working to prevent the spread can have exponentially positive benefits. I hope the financial and mental pain of the broad social cancellations around the country will help stifle the spread of the disease and contribute to a best-case-scenario in this country.
I’ll start processing refunds for everyone next week. Workshops are our financial backbone, so this will be very painful. If you want to transfer your refund to an Art Club gift certificate or just give our shop some love, we’d be super grateful. I’m sure Adrian would appreciate Hello Yarn love as well. :)
Dress School is a little farther out, so we have a bit more time to wait and see. Sonya and I are exploring backup dates and will be in touch in the next week or so.
P.S. If you’re not in an outbreak community and you’re baffled by the seemingly outsized response, this chart captures the importance of early containment/mitigation (full article). It shows the exponential effect of total cases averted in a month from averting a single case today vs. a week later. It’s bananas. Math!
Graphic: Britta Jewell. Full Story: The Exponential Power of Now
SPRING FIBER SCHOOL If you’re looking for Yarn School, the next offering will be this fall, followed by next spring.
NOTE: Dye School is an extended workshop with smaller class size and longer schedule than Yarn School, so Fiber School will be a bit different during Dye School sessions (especially for shuttle riders). Please read below and Dye School page.
FIBER SCHOOL is a week of fiber at the Harveyville Project!
SPRING FIBER SCHOOL includes two fiber workshops held back to back. 2020 features the brand new Dye School with Rigid Heddle School. You may enroll in either or both workshops. Students enrolled in both will have the opportunity to hand-dye a custom colorway for their Rigid Heddle School pattern project. All supplies, classes, equipment use, rooms, meals & snacks are included!
Register with a 50% deposit. Deposits are refundable, less a $25 cancellation fee until deposit deadline (below). After that, no refunds.
Standard registration is a shared double or triple (you can pick your roommates or we can assign them) in a large room. Private upgrades are also available.
FIBER SCHOOL (the whole shebang) $1245
Fiber School = Dye School (4 full days) + Rigid Heddle School (2 full days)
Upgrades: Private room, both workshops +$225
JUST DYE SCHOOL (4 days, dyeing nearly 2 1/2 pounds of yarn) $895
Upgrades: Private room +$150
JUST RIGID HEDDLE SCHOOL (2 days, basics, patterns, & play) $350
Upgrades: Private room +$75
Special Diets We can accommodate vegetarians at no extra charge. We can also cater to more specialized/exclusive diets (e.g., gluten-free, grain-free, vegan, dairy-free) at an additional charge of $80 for Dye School or $40 for Rigid Heddle School ($20/day). You’re also welcome to bring your own prepared food–we have a guest fridge and microwave you can use. Special diet charges aren’t included when you register; you’ll pay them at check-in.
EARLY ARRIVAL (after 5pm Wednesday for Dye School; Sunday for Rigid Heddle School): If you’re coming from afar and need flexibility, early arrival is available the night before. $60 includes your dinner and breakfast the following morning . Keep in mind it will be a little bit crazy and a lot informal!
THE AIRPORT SHUTTLE RUNS THE DAY BEFORE AND INCLUDES AN EXTRA NIGHT’S STAY: Shuttle riders receive a $20 discount on their extra night fee. When you register, you’ll pay the usual shuttle rate ($40) + your discounted extra night fee.
Register below with a 50% deposit; balance due at check-in. Deposit refund deadline is March 1. A $25 cancellation fee to cover PayPal fees (they’re no longer refundable) and admin costs will be deducted from refunds.
1. Register for Workshop
2. Add Shuttle/Extra Night
Which airport should I use? Kansas City, MO (airport code MCI) if you want to take the shuttle. If you’re planning to rent a car, you can also try Wichita (about 2 hours).
If you’re taking the shuttle, use these guidelines to book your flight. Do not book your flight outside of these times, or your could miss the shuttle/your flight. Lead/travel time has been built in, so these are your actual flight times.
- DYE SCHOOL ONLY: Arrive by 4pm Wednesday; depart after 10am Monday.
- RIGID HEDDLE SCHOOL ONLY: Arrive by 6pm Sun; depart after noon Wed.
- THE WHOLE SHEBANG: Arrive by 4pm Wednesday; depart after noon Wed.